Monday, December 23, 2013

Restaurant Aung Thuka in Yangon, Myanmar

Before my trip to Yangon which took place in early October 2013, I really wanted to go back to this restaurant which I frequently ate more than 20 years ago. However, I could never remember its name. As I was still able to place the restaurant and described it, my friend easily knew the place as this place is very popular in Yangon.

They now have a much better sign board

Burmese curry rice shop

View of one of the restaurant serving area

View of the restaurant

View of the various curries and dishes

Another view of the dishes
Curries with vegetables and ngapi (Burmese budu or fermented fish)


Boiled veges to be eaten with ngapi (ulam ulam)

Burmese belacan

Ngapi, it's very pungent but goes well with the boiled veges

After dinner lepe (fermented tea leaves with nuts)

Rock palm sugar for dessert.
The food is simple and nice. Various curries with veges and ngapi. Complimenary soup and desserts (lepe and rock palm sugar). This place is very crowded during lunch as eating out for dinner is still rather uncommon or frequent.

I love their butter fish curry but it's always finished by lunch time so no chance this time.

View from the outside
There are now a number of other bigger and brighter curry houses but I will still be back here the next time.

Until the next time, cheers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment