Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shangrila Hotel in Guilin, China

Normally, I would not write about hotels but I am doing so because I believe this hotel deserves to be noted. I have stayed in many hotels over the years but only a few are memorable and this is one of it.

However, I think I will start reviewing the hotels that I have stayed in. For the Shangrila Hotel Guilin, the level of service provided from the moment we stepped in, is fantastic. The attention to details is something I must commend the hotel's management. Whilst the standards of service in all Shangrila Hotels are generally good, this I must say is better.

The hotel has a lady in one of Guangxi's minority tribe to greet you. Very nice indeed.

Lovely silver jewelry and ornaments
Some of the pictures of the hotel.

The exterior of the hotel

 
The lobby area of the hotel
Another ground floor view of the hotel

The club floor lounge gave us a beautiful view of the surrounding. As the hotel is away from the city centre, we could have more greenery.

Lovely sunset with the Li River in front
Another view from the club lounge
We had dinner at the Shang Palace one night. We actually wanted a simple dinner but ended up trying quite a few dishes.

The entrance to Shang palace

The interior of the restaurant
This is like our "sambal", very delicious

We had a nice "pulled noodles" la mien

Delicious after mixing it up. Fresh noodles.
Some nice appertizers at the start
Some wantan soup and vegetables
The beer fish
The fish head from the "beer fish dish"
We asked the waitress to recommend us a local dish and the most famous was the "beer fish" as you can see above. The dish is cooked entirely without water, only beer and sauces. I must say, when mixed with some of the local sauces, it's quite unique. However, the fish has still a strong "muddy" taste. We found out later that this dish is actually from Yangshuo, a town not far from Guilin (see my other post on Yangshuo).

The service at the restaurant was very good too. We did not make reservation and it was full. Looks like locals come here quite often too. Hotel guests seem to dine here a lot too. The prices are very reasonable.

At one of the breakfast, I had a soft boiled egg and it had 2 yolks. Must be my lucky day.

2 yolks in an egg

The only set back of the hotel is that it is not in the city centre and one would have to use taxis to move around. However, taxi drivers in China is one of the most honest you can find. They go by the metre and do not take you "on the scenic route". I must take my hat off to the taxi drivers in China. It will cost you about RMB 15 to get to the city centre.

I would recommend anyone to this hotel. You will love it.

Until the next time, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment